IDEA Work Group Position Description
The Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Action (IDEA) Work Group provides support to National NSSLHA's 2020-2022 Strategic Plan (Goals 1 and 3). IDEA's primary responsibilities are to:
- increase opportunities to better engage and retain multicultural (minority) students,
- provide support for students from all intersectionalities, and
- increase opportunities to educate CSD students about cultural competence and cultural humility.
There are no more than 10 members of the IDEA Work Group, including 2 members from the Executive Council.
One year. IDEA Work Group member terms run September through August.
Approximately 3-5 hours per month.
Travel is not a requirement of the IDEA Work Group member positions. Travel costs are not covered by National NSSLHA.
Primary Responsibilities and Growth Opportunities
- Be aware of National NSSLHA's Mission, Vision and Core Values; Strategic Plan; Bylaws; chapters; membership; programs; and governance structure.
- Contribute to the development of National NSSLHA programs and resources about inclusion, diversity, and equity in CSD education.
- Foster relationships with ASHA's Multicultural Constituency Groups and other CSD-related organizations.
Desired Personal and Professional Characteristics
Ability to . . .
- Show interest in issues related to inclusion, diversity, equity, cultural competence, and cultural humility in CSD.
- Listen, analyze, and think strategically and creatively.
- Work well with people individually and in a group.
- Consider multiple viewpoints about controversial issues, while being sensitive and tolerant.
- Ask questions, take responsibility, be responsive, follow through on given assignments, and evaluate yourself.
- Be honest, friendly, patient, and have personal integrity.
- Communicate National NSSLHA's perspectives effectively with members and stakeholders.
- Develop a sense of values and concern for National NSSLHA's development.